Self Defence is not just about kicking and punching, its about a state of mind.
The state of mind that is important is:
- A strong resolution to defend oneself
- A confidence to carry out what is necessary
- And to be able to calm the fight flight response.
- Finally to apply the skills and tools you have to defend oneself.
My 4 rules of self defence
1 Don’t be there.
Avoid any situation if possible, remove yourself if you can finally in the heat of battle move to avoid being hit
- Take back control
The attacker has established initial control by launching the assault whether verbally or physically. You need to take back the control as soon as possible.
- Do the unexpected
- You have the advantage of surprise given the right circumstances.
- If he pushes you pull, he pulls, you push, use his force against him where possible
- In the case of verbal abuse, use agreement and compliments to diffuse the situation, but do it from a position of confidence and strength
- If you have to go, go hard.
There is a guide line of the use of reasonable force, and it is always at least 10% more than the attack, but not over reacting.